- YHA - Youth Hostel Association
- Mount Tutu Eco-Sanctuary - Journey to the Protected Queen Elizabeth II National Trust paradise of Mount Tutu Eco-Sanctuary, a Podocarp Native Rainforest with trees over 500 years old.
- Pounamu Lodge - Nestled in pristine native forest with panoramic views over the lake to sacred Mount Tarawera.
- Lyons Lakestay - Affordable,"boutique style" backpacker,casual accommodation,B&B or Holiday unit.
- Pottsbury Organic Farm - A twelve acre organic orchard with two private and secluded Holiday Homes nestled among the trees and bird song
- Prana Eco Retreat - A unique Eco Retreat Venue, a place to rejuvenate body and soul, to swim, surf, walk and meditate.
- Whirinaki Forest B&B
- Lake Okareka BnB
- Jayride - Find or share a ride with Jayride, NZ's FREE rideshare community
- Kiwi Experience
- Intercity Coachlines
- Stray Travel
- Newmans Coach Lines
- Thrifty Car Rental
Te Urewera Stoat Trap Installation
Provider: Department of Conservation
Region: Bay of Plenty
We are looking for volunteers to help Install 1500 double set DOC 200 stoat traps in one of the best examples of podocarp forest in the country. Te Urewera has very strong populations of many endangered species including the North Island Brown Kiwi, Kokako, Kaka, Whio and many more all contributing to the Orchestral songs of the forest. We will be installing stoat traps to help sustain and increase the current populations of birds. There are 4 operations at 1 week in duration for each. the dates are as follows:
November - 3rd to the 7th
24th to the 28th
December - 8th to the 12th
January - 12th to the 16th
You will be flown into the backcounty by helicopter on tuesday morning and stay until friday.
We will cover food, accommodation and transport from Whakatane
The traps are 16kg to be carried on pack frames mostly downhill. fitness should be considered. We will be working in teams of 3-5. Backcountry and wilderness experience is a bonus but not mandatory.
This will be a fun mission and a great way to see this beautiful forest.
High level of fitness, map reading